What is Vulcan Grip?
What is Vulcan Grip?
Vulcan Grip® is the world’s only belt-friendly, ultra-hard, factory-applied coating for sheaves and pulleys that dramatically increases V-belt grip. Extreme Industrial Coatings can apply the patented (U.S. Pat. No. 9,382,995) Vulcan Grip coating to new or used pulleys.
To the eye, Vulcan Grip has a perceptible texture. At the microscopic level however, Vulcan Grip’s texture is similar to an asphalt road surface. V-belts, which are made of vulcanized rubber, just like car tires, love to run on Vulcan Grip.
Vulcan Grip affords operators of belt-driven equipment many advantages:
- Costly pulleys no longer wear out or become glazed because Vulcan Grip is a ceramic / metal nano-composite that can be cut only with diamond.
- Pulleys retain their grip to V-belts in even the dirtiest environments due to the unique Vulcan Grip texture; dust and dirt isn’t given a chance to start the vicious circle of slip and wear.
- V-belts last much longer when they don’t slip. Belt slip is pure friction and heat, and V-belts hate being hot.
- Bearings and gearboxes no longer prematurely fail when pulleys stay cool.
- Vulcan Grip improves your equipment’s performance, efficiency, up-time, and productivity.
- Vulcan Grip improves fuel economy; a savings of 20–50 gallon per day for a single forage harvester is not uncommon.
- Vulcan Grip slashes maintenance costs.
- Vulcan Grip increases the resale value of your equipment because Vulcan Grip is covered by a warranty unprecedented in agriculture and industry. When you sell your Vulcan Grip-equipped machine, the Vulcan Grip Forever Warranty automatically transfers to the new owner.
For engineers and designers of OEM belt-driven equipment that must operate in dusty environments, Vulcan Grip permits fewer sheave grooves and less service factor (strand tension). Vulcan Grip’s high coefficient of friction also reduces V-belt slippage due to torque disturbances (on either the driver or driven sheaves), further reducing strand tension. Narrower sheaves in combination with less belt strand tension means less overhung load on bearings and a cascading series of cost-reduction benefits. Furthermore, because the road-like Vulcan Grip texture won’t wear away—even in the most abrasive soils—the field performance of your machines stay consistently high year after year so you enjoy greater customer brand loyalty.